Can Dental Problems Cause Major Health Issues?
posted: Sep. 09, 2021.
There’s a reason why your dentist wants to see you twice a year, at least. Frequent dental checkups can ensure your oral hygiene is remaining intact. If your oral hygiene becomes deficient, it could cause significant health issues. Trusted Tarzana dentist Dr. Kaveh Kanani understands the health risks of bad oral hygiene. Therefore, we make sure our patients are aware of how to properly care for their teeth. If a patient needs a procedure to prevent a potentially severe issue, we’re here to help. Los Angeles dentist Dr. Kanani understands the connection between bad oral hygiene and major health issues. Gum disease is one of the leading factors associated with chronic conditions in the body. If Dr. Kanani sees his patients begin to show signs of gum disease, he’ll treat them immediately.
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF POOR ORAL HYGIENE?
Not maintaining proper oral care can lead to several negative consequences. Below is a list of symptoms that can occur as a result of poor oral hygiene. Contact Dr. Kanani today if you have signs of poor oral hygiene in Los Angeles.
- Bone loss: Bacteria slowly eats away at your jawbone.
- Cancer:Those whose teeth and gums are in poor condition can be more susceptible to a cancer-causing oral virus.
- Inflammation of blood vessels: Bacteria travel to blood vessels leading to inflammation and damage.
- Hardened arteries: Patients with gum disease have nearly twice the risk of having heart disease.
- High blood pressure: Good oral health can keep bacteria that can affect your blood pressure at bay.
- Blood clots: Oral bacteria that escape into the bloodstream can cause blood clots.
- Fertility issues: Gum disease can cause fertility issues in men and women.
ARE THERE CHRONIC HEALTH CONDITIONS ASSOCIATED WITH POOR ORAL HYGIENE?
While poor oral hygiene can lead to many immediate health concerns, there are also chronic health risks as well. Top dental surgeon Dr. Kanani can give you tips to maintain a good home care routine for your teeth. One of the best things you can do is schedule regular dental checkups with your Los Angeles dentist. Dental hygiene is a grave matter. If not cared for properly, your oral problems can lead to the following.
- Heart disease: endocarditis and cardiovascular disease
- Cancer, specifically pancreatic and oropharyngeal
- Alzheimer’s disease and dementia
- Pregnancy issues, including premature births, low birth weight, or infections in your newborn
Maintaining proper oral health is essential and should not be taken lightly. If you’re showing signs of gum disease or worse, tooth loss, call Dr. Kanani immediately. Remember, good oral hygiene in Los Angeles is an excellent way to prevent dental problems.
TRUSTED DENTIST DR. KANANI’S RECOMMENDATIONS FOR GOOD ORAL HEALTH
Tarzana dentist Dr. Kanani says you shouldn’t let poor oral hygiene get the best of you and your health. To keep your oral health intact, follow a few simple rules. In addition to regular visits to Dr. Kanani in his eco-friendly Tarzana dental office, here are steps to maintain oral health.
- Brush your teeth at least two to three times a day
- Replace your toothbrush at least every two to four months
- Make sure you’re flossing daily
- Don’t forget to brush along your gum line to remove bacteria you might miss
- Schedule an appointment with your trusted Tarzana dentist every six months, or as recommended
If you start showing signs of gum disease, don’t delay in contacting Dr. Kanani. The top Los Angeles dental surgeon can evaluate the current state of your oral health and develop a custom treatment plan.
HOW WILL I KNOW IF I HAVE GUM DISEASE?
You will know if you have, or if you’re at risk for, gum disease in Los Angeles. If you experience any of the following symptoms, contact Dr. Kanani right away. The trusted Tarzan dentist can help your teeth before it’s too late. Dental problems in Los Angeles are a severe matter. Working with innovative dental surgeon Dr. Kanani will ensure our gums stay healthy.
Some signs of gum disease may include:
- Gums that are red, swollen, or tender, and other pain in your mouth
- Blood when brushing, flossing, or eat hard food
- Gums start to look like they’re pulling away from your teeth
- Teeth are becoming loose or separating
- Pus exists between your gums and teeth
- Sores in your mouth
- Persistent bad breath
- A change in your teeth when you bite
- If you have partial dentures, you’ll notice a difference in how they fit
WHAT TO DO IF YOU NOTICE SIGNS OF GUM DISEASE
Millions of Americans don’t know they have a severe infection in their gums. If your gum disease does not receive treatment, it can lead to tooth loss. In general, keeping up good oral hygiene is one way to prevent gum disease. Brush your teeth gently, and don’t forget to floss. Also, make sure you’re seeing your dentist twice a year, or as recommended. If you start to notice early signs of gum recession, Tarzana-based dentist Dr. Kaveh Kanani of Around the Corner Dental Spa recommends using Sensodyne toothpaste as an early preventer. If you don’t treat signs of gum disease soon, it can only get worse. Contact Dr. Kanani at his dental office in Los Angeles when you first start noticing signs of gum disease.
CAN GUM DISEASE BE FIXED?
Slight gum recession might be treatable by your dentist through deep cleaning the affected area. The deep cleaning will carefully remove the plaque and tartar that has built up on the teeth and root surfaces before the gum line. Antibiotics could also be given to kill any remaining bacteria that may be harmful. If bone loss exists, deep cleaning will not fix the gum recession issue. In that case, the patient requires surgery.
Dr. Kanani has been performing his unique pinhole surgery method to treat patients with severe gum recession. Dr. Kanani goes into the patient’s mouth with a tool that’s the size of a pen. Entering through a small hole in the gum, Dr. Kanani lifts the gum, drops it down, and adds a connective tissue. With this procedure, patients experience minimal pain and recover quicker.
SEE DR. KANANI TODAY FOR BETTER ORAL HEALTH
Trusted Tarzana dentist Dr. Kaveh Kanani has been treating patients in his Los Angeles dental office since 2001. Dr. Kanani has experience in all forms of dentistry, including preventing and reversing gum recession. If you notice changes in your mouth, call Dr. Kanani right away. One phone call could make all the difference. Dr. Kanani and his dedicated staff will welcome you into their eco-friendly Tarzana dental office.