What Foods Are Bad For Your Teeth?
posted: Sep. 09, 2021.
When you were growing up, your parents probably warned you about those scary cavities. Did you think this was just their way of preventing you from eating candy? Well, your parents weren’t wrong. Most of us know the basic formula for maintaining healthy teeth and gums in Los Angeles. To prevent severe damage, we should brush and floss regularly. Additionally, trusted Tarzana dentist Dr. Kaveh Kanani encourages patients to stay away from foods rich in sugar, such as candy.
The American Dental Association suggests that people stay away from sugary and sticky foods as they stay on teeth longer. Even if you think you’re brushing well, food can remain on your teeth. When food remains on your teeth, it allows bacteria to grow, resulting in, you guessed it, cavities.
WHAT ARE CAVITIES?
A cavity is a hole in the tooth that can grow bigger and deeper over time. If you have a cavity, it’s important to see Dr. Kanani to repair it. Cavities can become a severe issue if you don’t treat them properly and treat them early. Dr. Kanani can administer a filling, which helps prevent the hole from growing and spreading in the mouth. If left untreated, cavities can cause pain, swelling, infection, and even tooth loss.
WHAT CAUSES CAVITIES?
Cavities and tooth decay are among the world’s most common health problems. Cavities are especially common in children, teenagers, and older adults. However, anyone with teeth can develop a cavity, including infants. A variety of factors can cause you to develop a hole. Among the factors contributing to cavities are:
– Presence of bacteria in the mouth
– Frequent snacking
– Drinking sugary drinks
– Not maintaining good oral health
If you do not treat a cavity early on, they can get larger and affect deeper layers of your teeth. Additionally, cavities can lead to toothaches, infection, and tooth loss. Regular dental visits to Dr. Kanani’s eco-friendly dental office in Tarzana can help you prevent cavities.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF CAVITIES?
Depending on the extent and location of your cavity, various symptoms and signs can arise. You may not experience any symptoms at all if your cavity is beginning. As tooth decay becomes severe, you may experience symptoms such as:
– Tooth sensitivity
– Light to sharp pain when eating or drinking foods and beverages that are hot or cold
– Holes in your teeth that are visible
– Brown, black or white staining on any of your tooth’s surfaces
– Pain when biting down
WHAT FOODS CAUSE CAVITIES?
Eating certain foods can make you more susceptible to cavities. Foods that stick to your teeth for a long time are more likely to cause decay. Types of foods that last longer on your teeth include:
– Ice cream
– Dried fruit
– Hard candy and mints
– Dry cereal
Also, if you’re continuously snacking or drinking sugary foods and beverages, you give your mouth more bacteria. When there are more bacteria in the mouth, it provides the mouth with more fuel to produce acids that attack the teeth. Drinking soda throughout the day helps create a continuous acid bath in your mouth.
WHO IS AT RISK FOR CAVITIES?
Anyone with teeth can be at risk for getting cavities. However, some factors can increase risk, including:
– Tooth location – tooth decay most often occurs in the back teeth
– Bedtime infant feeding – formula, milk, and juice can stay on babies’ teeth for hours while they sleep
– Inadequate brushing
– Lack of fluoride
– Being younger or older
– Dry mouth
– Worn fillings or dental devices
– Eating disorders
WHAT ARE THE CONSEQUENCES OF CAVITIES?
Cavities are not only painful, but they can also cause serious consequences. Even though cavities are common, they still must be taken seriously. Cavities and tooth decay can have severe and lasting complications. Complications of cavities can include:
– Tooth abscess
– Swelling or pus around a tooth
– Damage or broken teeth
– Problems with chewing
– Change in the positioning of teeth as a result of tooth loss
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN CAVITIES BECOME SEVERE?
If left untreated, cavities can become serious problems. Symptoms and consequences of severe cavity problems may include:
– Pain that interrupts your daily life
– Weight loss or other nutrition problems from difficulty in eating or chewing
– Tooth loss, which can significantly affect your confidence and overall dental health
– Though rare, a cavity can cause a tooth abscess, which can lead to more severe or even life-threatening infections.
HOW CAN I PREVENT CAVITIES?
Maintaining good oral and dental hygiene can help you avoid cavities and tooth decay. Below are a few tips to follow to prevent cavities. Most importantly, be sure to make frequent appointments with your dentist. Dr. Kanani can help you further prevent cavities.
– Brush with fluoride toothpaste after eating or drinking
– Rinse your mouth frequently
– Make regular appointments with your top Los Angeles dentist
– Ask your trusted Tarzana dentist about dental sealants
– Avoid frequent snacking and drinking
– Eat foods that are healthy for your teeth, including fresh fruits and vegetables.
– As your Los Angeles cosmetic surgeon about fluoride treatments and antibacterial treatments
CAN I LOSE MY TEETH FROM CAVITIES?
If your cavity goes left untreated, you may be at risk for tooth loss. If your dentist can’t save the tooth, Dr. Kanani may extract it and replace it with a denture, bridge, or implant. Dr. Kanani’s method for dental implants is painless, drill-less, and flap-less. While you don’t want to lose a tooth because of a cavity, there are options if you do. If your tooth has fallen out due to a hole, contact Dr. Kanani today.
AVOID CAVITIES TODAY. CONTACT DR. KAVEH KANANI FOR A FREE CONSULTATION!
Trusted Tarzana dentist Dr. Kaveh Kanani has been treating patients in his Los Angeles dental office since 2001. Dr. Kanani has been helping patients improve their smiles and prevent cavities for years. By frequently visiting Dr. Kanani, the top Tarzana dentist will ensure you remain cavity-free. Visit his eco-friendly dental office in Los Angeles today. If you aren’t satisfied with your smile, call Dr. Kanani right away. One phone call could make all the difference. Dr. Kanani and his dedicated staff will welcome you into their eco-friendly Tarzana dental office.